Preparation time- 1 hour
1 Medium sized Green mango/ Mamidi kaya
2 Tsps mustard seeds/ Aavalu
1.5 Tsps Fenugreek seeds/ Menthulu
1.5 Tbsp Red Chilly powder/ Kaaram
1.5 Tbsp salt
2 Tbsp Oil
1 Tsp Mustard seeds/ Avalu
2 Red chillys/ Endumirapakayalu
1tsp Asafoetida/ Heeng/ Inguva
1. Wash and peel mango.
2. Grate mango with coconut scraper and set aside.
3. Dry roast fenugreek seeds, let cool and grind into powder. Set aside.
4. Grind mustard seeds into powder. Set aside.
5. In a mixing bowl, add the powders from step 3 & 4 , salt, red chilly powder and grated mango. Mix well and set aside.
6. Heat oil and add dry red chillies, mustard seeds and asafoetida. Let this tempering cool.
7. Pour the cooled tempering over the grated mango-spice marinade from step 5.
8. Bottle into a clean dry glass jar and refrigerate.
This item goes with well rice. It is also a popular accompaniment with tiffins such as Upma, Idli, Dosa, etc.