If you are someone who thinks Bottle gourd is a boring vegetable with no special taste or recipe for it, then here is a recipe that might change your mind after all. I learned this recipe from my sister-in-law (thodikodalu) who originally learned it from our mother-in-law and I found it to bevery tasty and most importantly: quick and easy! Here is how it's made:
1 Bottle gourd/Sorakaya
1 medium sized onion
5 green chillies (depending on the chillies you use, mine are very spicy)
1 tbsp Oil
1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
1/2 tsp Cumin seeds
Red chilli powder (if necessary)
1 cup Milk
1. Heat oil in a wide pan and add cumin seeds and green chillies to start with. After half a minute, add the chopped onions.
2. As the onions are cooking, add the ginger garlic paste and curry leaves.
4. Now add salt and cover the pan with a lid to allow the vegetable to cook.
5. As the bottle gourd starts to soften (partly) add the milk, corriander powder and any other masala powder you wish to use. Again close the lid and let the vegetable boil/cook in milk.
6.Stir occasionally with the lid closed until the vegetable is fully cooked (it should be soft when you try to cut it).
7. You may add red chilli powder at any time if you need it be more spicy or to add some color to the dish.
8. When finished, add the cilantro to garnish and serve it with roti or rice.