Monday, February 15, 2010
గుత్తి కాకరకాయ: Kurina kakarakaya- Stuffed bitter melon
People who hate bitter melon should try this receipe and am sure they will start loving it.
cooking time: 25 mins
serves: 3 persons
10 Bitter melon/kakarakayalu
small lemon sized tamarind/chinthapandu(if you are using pulp take 11/2 tsp)
11/2 tbsp senagapindi/chana flour
1tsp red chilly powder
1/4 tsp turmeric/pasupu
2tbsp oil to fry
1/2tsp of Cumin/Jeera powder/jeelakarra podi.
salt to taste
1. Wash the bitter melon and slit them from one side along length wise as shown in picture.
2. Cook them in a pan adding one cup of tamarind water(squeeze from tamarind or if you are using pulp then add one cup water and pulp)
3. Add salt and turmeric powder.
4. cook for about 10 minutes.
5. Drain the excess water, and let it cool.
6. To prepare stuffing: add salt, chilly powder and jeera powder to chana flour.
7. Fill the bitter melon with stuffing.
8. Heat pan adding 1tbs of oil,add the stuffed bitter melons.
9. Fry them in a medium/low flame changing the sides.(do not put the stuffing side down)
10.Fry them until color changes to dark brown. serve hot.
Nutritional Values: This is good for diabetes and kills the germs in stomach.
Tastes good with white rice.