Friday, February 26, 2010
మణుగుపూలు / Manugupulu/Janthikalu/ Murukulu/ Rice flour snack
2cups Rice flour
1/2cup Moong dal
2tsp jeera/cumin seeds
4tsp sesame seeds (Optional)
Oil for deep frying
1tsp.Red chilli powder
Salt to taste.
3 tbsp hot oil or butter
1. Pressure cook moong dal.
2. In a wide bowl add rice flour,moong dal paste, chili powder, salt, sesame seeds and cumin seeds mix it well.
3. Add 3tbsp.oil(hot oil) or butter,mix it well, by adding enough water make a dough of roti dough consistency.
4. In a deep frying pan add oil for deep frying, once the oil is hot enough for frying(oil should not be too hot, this makes murukulu get burnt)
5. Now take the mould(can be bought from Indian store) keep enough dough in to it, press it in hot oil, fry them until they are light golden brown in color, fry them in batches and drain on a paper towel.
6. Store them in air tight container.
Variations: Instead of moong dal you can use urad dal or puttnala pappu( Dalia). If you are using putnala pappu then just grind it and mix it in the rice flour, no need to pressure cook.
Learnt this from my mom-in-law (Manjuvani):)