Friday, February 19, 2010
కాయకూరల పచ్చడి: Kaaya kurala pacchadi- Mixed vegetable chutney
( MY MOTHER-IN-LAW SUNDARAMMA'S RECIPE)
1 beerakaya/Ridge gourd
1 dosakaya/ Yellow cucumber
1 vankaya/egg plant (long)
2 big tamata/tomato
5 pachimirapakayalu/green chillies(adjust as per taste)
Marble size tamarind or 1tsp Amchur
cilantro/kothimera for garnishing
salt to taste
1/4 tsp turmeric
1tbs urad dal/minapappu
1/2 tsp mustard seeds/avalu
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds/ menthulu
1/2 tsp hing/inguva
1. Soak tamarind. Clean, peel and chop all vegetables into pieces.
2. Heat oil and add chillies and all the chopped vegetables.
3. Saute till they are soft
4. Once cooled, grind tamarind and chillies first, add the rest of the sauted vegetables, salt and grind again to a paste.
5. Heat oil in another pan and add the mustard Seeds and once they splutter, add fenugreek seeds, urad dal and hing, once you get the aroma turn off heat
6. Pour the oil mixture over the paste.
It tastes great with hot rice, roti ,dosa and upma .
Warning : Taste the ridge gourd and yellow cucumber as they taste bitter sometimes.