Tuesday, February 16, 2010
సొరకాయ మజ్జిగ పులుసు: Sorakaaya majjiga pulusu- Bottle gourd yogurt gravy
2 cups bottle gourd(sorakaya/kaddu) diced into pieces
1 cup Yogurt
2 cups water
1 tbsp chana dal/senaga pappu
t tsp cumin seeds/jeera
1 tbsp fresh kobbari/grated coconut
1 inch ginger
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp mustard seeds/aavalu
1 tsp cumin seeds/jeera
pinch of hing/inguva
1 tsp oil
1. Soak chana dal for 1 hour and grind them along with ginger,grated coconut,green chillies by adding liitle amount of water to make a fine paste.
2. Add 1 cup water and boil the bottle gourd pieces.
3. Mix 1 cup of water to 1 cup of yogurt and beat well.
4. Add the ground paste,turmeric ,boiled bottlegourd pieces to majjiga/buttermilk and mix well.
5. Transfer buttermilk mixture into a deep pan and cook on low flame. Add salt and mix well.
6. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a pan, add mustard seeds,once they splutter add cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves and remove from fire and pour into the majjiga pulusu
7. Garnish with cilantro
Variations: Instead of bottle gourd/sorakaaya you can use pumpkin/gummadikaaya or drumstick/munakkayaa or seema vankaaya.