Friday, September 24, 2010
ఉండల మజ్జిగ పులుసు: Undala majjiga pulusu- Lentil balls in butter-milk stew
Serving for 4 persons(8 balls)
1/3 cup chana dal/bengalgram dal/senaagapappu
1/3 cup toor dal/kandi pappu
3 to 5 red chillies/yendu mirapakayalu
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp jeera/jeelakarra/cuminseeds
1/2 tsp asafitodia/heeng/inguva
1 ltr Butter milk/majjiga
Salt to taste
11/2 tbs senagapappu/chanadal/bengalgram dal
1/2 tsp jeelakarra/jeera/cuminseeds
1/2 tsp avalu/mustard seeds/raayi
6 green chillies/pacchi mirpakayalu
1 inch long ginger/allam/
2 tbs coconut powder/kobbari turumu (fresh or dry coconut)
1/2 tsp Avalu/mustard deeds
1/2 tsp jeelakarra/jeera/cumin seeds
1. Soak dals for balls and soak gravy items separately for one hour.
2. Grind soaked dalls, red chillies ,salt,jeera and heeng together and make dough.
(with out adding water)and make medium sized balls and keep aside.
3.Now grind all ingredients to make smooth paste for gravy.
4.Take thick bottom vessel add 1ltr butter milk and mix with paste.
5.Add salt and turmeric and let it boil.
6. When it comes to boil drop one ball in it.
7. After a minute add another and continue like that for all the balls.
8.Boil them for 5 minutes.
9. Heat oil in a small pan and add seasoning when it splutters add to the pulusu.
This goes with rice. First, take one ball and smash it and mix with rice then
add gravy to it and mix well and eat.